LOWVILLE – Edward O. Ingersoll, 100, formerly of Martinsburg and Brookside Senior Living Community, passed away Friday morning, November 9, 2018 at the Lewis County Residential Healthcare Facility.
A graveside service with Military Honors will be held at a later date in the Martinsburg Cemetery. There will be no calling hours. Ed has generously donated his body as an anatomical gift to SUNY Upstate Medical University for research so that he can continue to help others.
Surviving are a son, Richard (Helen) Ingersoll; a daughter-in-law, Sally Ingersoll; four grandchildren, Renee Powlin, Christina Ingersoll, Bryan Ingersoll, and Jean Ingersoll-Gough; six great-grandchildren; four brothers, Robert (Cindy), George, Victor (Corrine), Harvey (Mary); and several nieces, nephews, and cousins. He is predeceased by his wife Tess of 76 years, a son, James, and two brothers, Walter and Donald.
Edward was born on June 14, 1918 in Martinsburg, NY, the son of the late Otis and Anna Belle Thayer Ingersoll. He attended country schools and Lowville Academy. On October 29, 1939, he married Theresa “Tess” Paluck at the Turin United Methodist Church. Ed served in the U.S. Marine Corp during World War II and fought and survived the invasion of Iwo Jima.
After returning home, he worked with his father building rotary snow-blowers, he built the first Martinsburg Fire Department truck, he was a welder on the St. Lawrence Seaway, and also worked for the Remington Arms Co. in Ilion, NY.
In 1955, together with Tess, they opened and operated the Ingersoll Farm Supply in Martinsburg. Edward then worked as a superintendent for Carpenter Rigging, Syracuse, NY until his retirement.
After his retirement, Ed repaired and made furniture in his home woodshop. He worked on many local projects; one of his proudest was being instrumental in building the Martinsburg playground for the town children. He also was the system project coordinator for the Martinsburg Waterworks. Additionally, Ed worked tirelessly in securing the dialysis unit at Lewis County General Hospital. He enjoyed playing music, having card and Manhattan parties, and just talking to people.
Ed was a member of the Martinsburg United Methodist Church, the Martinsburg Fire Department, as well as several other local organizations. He was also a lifetime member of the 4th Marine Division Assoc., the Marine Corps League Det. #754, the Lewis County Memorial Post #6912 VFW, the Lowville American Legion Post #162, and the Lowville Elks Lodge #1605.
Ed was a true Renaissance man, living a long, interesting and charitable life, leaving a remarkable legacy for his family and those lives he touched in so many ways.
In lieu of flowers, contributions can be made to the Martinsburg United Methodist Church, P.O. Box 7, Martinsburg, NY 13404; the Martinsburg Fire Department, P.O. Box 143, Martinsburg, NY 13404; or to a charity of one’s choice.
Arrangements are with Iseneker Funeral Home, Inc., Lowville. Condolences may be made online at www.isenekerfuneralhome.com .